From The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
- 2 TB butter
- ½ c. sliced onion or scallions
- ½ lb. sliced mushrooms
- 1 large stalk of broccoli, cauliflower, or bok choy
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, thinly sliced
- ¾ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dill weed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ c. chopped sweet pickle
- 1 ½ c. packed grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- ¾ c. milk
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large, heavy skillet, cook the onions over very low heat, in the butter, until they begin to soften (3-5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli, potato slices, and salt. Stir and cover. Continue cooking over medium-low heat until the potato slices are just tender (8-10 minutes). Don’t overcook, as this will cause the vegetables to become boring.
- Season the cooked vegetables with black pepper and dill, stirring to well-acquaint everything with everything else.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the chopped egg, pickle, grated cheese and caraway seeds.
- Spread half the cooked vegetable mixture into the bottom of your buttered deep-dish casserole. Sprinkle half the egg-cheese mixture over the vegetable layer, distributing it evenly and unimaginatively.
- Repeat step 5, only this time use the other half of each mixture. Pour the milk over the top of the casserole, and dust with paprika. Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350.