From The Zen Monastery Cookbook
Yes, I realize that we don’t grow any of these ingredients. But these are a perfect match for the potato-leek soup.
- 1 ½ c. unbleached white flour
- ½ c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp.salt
- 1 1/3 TB canola oil
- 1 c. buttermilk or soymilk
1. Preheat oven to 400. Stir dry ingredients together
2. In a separate bowl, combine the oil and buttermilk and mix.
3. Quickly and thoroughly blend the buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Keep the stirring to a minimum.
4. Form the dough into biscuits about the size of a cat’s head or smaller. For bonus points, try making whiskers out of the dough. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned on top.
Makes 7 or 8 biscuits