From Easy Vegetarian
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 celery stalks or 2 celeriac, chopped
- 1 ½ c. chopped parsnips, 1 lb.
- 2 ½ c. cubed rutabagas or turnip, 1 lb.
- 1 ½ c. chopped carrots, 1 lb.
- 1 TB vegetable bouillon powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the oil in a large saucepan, heat gently, then add the onion, garlic, and celery/celeriac, and cook for 5 minutes without browning.
2. Add the parsnips, rutabagas, and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Mix the bouillon powder with 1-½ quarts boiling water and add the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, and simmer for 35 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Remove from the heat andlet cool slightly. Working in batches if necessary, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Green Tarragon Drizzle, optional:
- A bunch of tarragon, finely chopped
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ¼ c. olive oil
1. Put the tarragon in a bowl and add the lemon juice and oil. Blend until smooth.
2. Reheat the soup as necessary. Ladle the hot soup into bowls, add a swirl of tarragon drizzle, and serve.