For the salad:
- 1 large bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 c. grated rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, or celeriac
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, pour olive oil and salt over kale. Take off your rings and watch, roll up your sleeves, and massage the oil and salt into the kale for 2-3 minutes, until the kale starts to break down and wilt. The kale can benefit from having a half-hour of relaxation after its massage, but that isn’t strictly required.
- Top with carrot, rutabaga, avocado , scallions and sesame seeds. Mix together dressing ingredients and toss with the salad.