- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups lemon juice (about 10 to 15 lemons) and the lemon zest from the lemons
- 4 cups cold or sparkling water
- 2 cups of ice
- Create a simple syrup by combining basil, sugar, 1 cup of water and lemon zest in a sauce pan.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved. Let cool and sit for about an hour so that the flavors blend together. Strain the syrup.
- In a pitcher, combine lemon juice, cold water (or sparkling water), syrup and ice. Stir and serve! You can garnish by adding basil leaves or slices of lemon. Enjoy this refreshing treat this summer!