in From Asparagus to Zucchini, 3rd ed.
- 6 oz. Vermicelli pasta
- 2 TB butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. Cooking oil
- 1 small onion or bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 c. chopped tat soi, spinach, endive or other greens
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 c. milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Lightly grease a large pie plate. Cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Stir butter and Parmesan into hot vermicelli. Beat 2 of the eggs and stir well into pasta. Spoon mixture into pie plate, using a spoon to shape vermicelli into a pie shell. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in small skillet, add onion and saute until tender. Beat the remaining 3 eggs and combine with greens, mozzarella, milk, seasonings, and sauteed onions. Spoon greens and mixture into pasta shell. Cover pie with aluminum foil. Bake 35 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Let cool before serving.