from Simply in Season
- 4-6 medium beets with fresh greens
- 1-2 TB lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1-2 tsp honey
- Cut greens off beets, leaving about 1 inch of greens on beets. Place beets in large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beets are tender when pricked with fork, 15-30 minutes.
- While beets are cooking, remove stem from beet greens. Chop stems in 1-inch pieces. Chop greens separately. Drain the cooked beets and rinse with cold water. When beets have cooled enough to handle, slip peels off with fingers. Cut beets in slices.
- In saucepan, sauté stems in 1-2 TB butter until tender. Add greens and sauté until bright green and just tender.
- Add sliced beets and heat through.
- Add other ingredients, stir in, and serve immediately.