from Vegetarian, by Linda Fraser
1 TB olive oil
- 2 TB butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 lb. ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- about 3 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 2 TB sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 TB shredded fresh basil
- 2/3 c. heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- whole basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until foaming. Add the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring, until the onion is softened but not brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and garlic, then add the stock, white wine and tomato paste, with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, half-cover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the tomatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Process the soup with the shredded basil in a blender or food processor, then press through a sieve into a clean pan.
- Add the cream and heat through, stirring. Do not allow the soup to approach the boiling point. Check the consistency and add more stock if necessary, the season with salt and pepper. Pour into heated bowls and garnish with basil. Serve at once.