from Vegetarian, by Linda Fraser
2 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, washed and sliced
1 ½ lb. Celery, chopped
1 TB medium or hot curry powder
8 oz. Potatoes, washed and diced
3 ¼ c. vegetable or chicken stock
2 TB chopped fresh mixed herbs
salt to taste
celery seeds and leaves, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, leek and celery, cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the curry powder and cook for two minutes more, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the potatoes and stock, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Set the soup aside to cool slightly.
5. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
6. Add the mixed herbs, season to taste and process briefly. Return to the saucepan and reheat gently until piping hot. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with a sprinkling of celery seeds and some celery leaves.
7. Serve with whole-wheat rolls or pita bread.