from Smitten with Squash
- 9 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3 large cloves garlic, halved
- 3 tsp. mixed peppercorns
- 1-1/2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 3 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 lbs. yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into thin rounds.
- 1/3 c. thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1-1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 c. water
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2-1/2 T. honey
- In a large glass jar or bowl that holds about 2 quarts, add the cilantro, garlic, peppercorns, coriander, red pepper flakes, zucchini, and onion. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring vinegar, water, salt, and honey to a boil. Pour hot mixture over contents in the jar, pressing down on the vegetables so that brine covers them completely. Let cool on the counter to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or 2 days for maximum flavor. Keeps in refrigerator for 2 months.