- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges, greens reserved
- ½ cup water, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, reserved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups chopped turnip greens or mature spinach
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add turnips, water, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until barely tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add greens and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the turnips are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if the greens begin to stick before the turnips are tender.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with flour, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, white pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve topped with the reserved lemon zest.