|Adapted from The Zen Monastery Cookbook
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 lb. zucchini or other squash diced
- a large handful of cooking greens (spinach, kale, collards, or chard), stemmed and chopped (if desired)
- 4 c. water
- 1 ½ tsp
- ¼ c chopped fresh basil (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 c. milk or soymilk
- optional: fresh basil, dill, parsley
- Saute the onions with the salt in a little water until very soft, about ten minutes.
- Add the water and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the zucchini, greens, and basil. Return to a simmer and cook until everything is tender.
- Puree everything in a blender until it’s all very smooth. Stir in the milk or soymilk and pepper and chill until very cold (3 or 4 hours) before serving.
From August 7, 2009 Fox & Fawn Farm Newsletter