|Source: From Asparagus to Zucchini 3rd ed.
- 2 TB butter
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 c. sliced carrots, approx. 1 ½ lb.
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thinly
- 4 c. water or vegetable broth
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 c. orange juice
- ¼ c. sour cream
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced fennel and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to turn golden. Add carrots and garlic; cook and stir for a minute or two.
- Add water or broth and salt; bring to simmer, cover, and cook until carrots and fennel are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture in a food processor blender, or with an immersion blender.
- Stir in orange juice and sour cream until smooth and creamy.
- Reheat on low heat, but do not boil. Serve each bowl garnished with fennel fronds.
From September 4, 2009 Fox & Fawn Farm Newsletter