Adapted from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
- 4 beets
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp. honey
- 6 scallions, including greens, minced
- ½ medium cucumber, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1 TB fresh dill, minced, or 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1 c. mixed sour cream and yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove the greens from the beets and set aside. Boil the beets, whole, for about 20-25 minutes. Rinse under running water as you rub off their skins. Chop into ½” bits.
2. While they are still warm, marinate them in vinegar, garlic, and honey. Let stand 30 minutes.
3. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well, and chill until very cold. Serve over their greens.