From 5 spices, 50 Dishes by Ruta Kahate
- 1 pound beets (4 medium or 8 baby, any color)
- 1 ½ T canola oil
- ½ t mustard seeds (dark or light)
- 1 small green Serrano chili (cut in half the long way and sliced into half moons with some/most seeds removed)
- ¼ t salt
- ½ -1 T lemon juice
- 1 T minced cilantro
1. Scrub and rinse beets, cover with water in medium pot and bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook covered, until tender, 20-30 minutes depending on beet size.
2. Drain, cool, peel and chop into ½ inch cubes.
3. Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat or in a wok over high heat. Add mustard seeds to hot oil, covering the pan with a lid because the mustard seeds will pop and spatter.
4. When the popping and sputtering stops, after 1-2 minutes, add the Serrano and give it a quick stir. Then quickly add beets and salt.
5. Toss, cover and steam over low heat 6-8 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
6. Remove to a serving dish and toss with the lemon juice and cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.