by Chef Michel Nischan, on PBS.org
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups raw pumpkin or winter squash, cubed (reserve pumpkin shell for serving)
- 2 cups Italian black coco beans (or any other fresh shell bean)
- 4 cups trimmed snap beans, any color
- 1 cup fresh Native American grinding corn (regular corn can be substituted)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 5 sage leaves, julienned
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add Italian black coco beans, native corn, and raw pumpkin.
2. Cover with vegetable stock and simmer until all ingredients are tender and the stock has reduced, about 35 to 40 minutes.
3. Add trimmed snap beans and gently stir in sage leaves, sweet butter, and sea salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve in hollowed-out pumpkin shell.