From USA Weekend, 19 Jun 2009
- 1 c. couscous
- ½ c. dried cherries
- 1 c. boiling water
- 5 TB olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into bite-sized sticks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz. Can chickpeas, drained
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 TB rice wine vinegar
- 3 TB frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1. Place couscous and dried cherries in a medium bowl. Add boiling water; immediately cover bowl with plastic wrap or a cover and let sit until water is completely absorbed, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 TB of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add peppers and onions, sautéing until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes, and seasoning with cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper as they cook. Add to couscous, along with chickpeas and cilantro.
3. Whisk remaining 3 TB of oil with vinegar and orange juice concentrate. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.