From Vegetarian: The Best-Ever Recipe Collection, by Linda Fraser
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 garlic clove or scape, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 TB chopped cilantro
- oil for deep-frying
- 1 small fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 TB mayonnaise
- salt and black pepper
- sprig of cilantro, to garnish
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor or blender. Add the scallions and process to a smooth puree. Add the egg, ground turmeric, garlic, cumin and about 1 TB of the chopped cilantro. Process briefly to mix, then season with salt and pepper.
- Work with clean, wet hands, shape the chickpea mixture into 16 small balls.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 350° , or until a cube of bread added to the oil browns in 30-45 seconds. Deep-fry the falafel in batches for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Drain the falafel on paper towels. Place in a serving bowl and keep warm.
- Stir the remaining chopped cilantro and the chile into the mayonnaise. Garnish with the cilantro sprig and serve alongside the falafel.
NOTE: For busy cooks, packaged falafel mix is also available in most grocery stores.