From Vegetarian: The Best Ever Recipe Collection, by Linda Fraser
- 1 c. basmati rice
- 2 tb. Oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 c. mixed frozen veggies or chopped green beans
- ¼ c. cashew nuts
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- Wash the rice in several changes fo cold water. Put in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large fryin gpan and saute the cumin seeds for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, cardamom and cloves and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in the carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan together with the frozen veggies or beans and cashew nuts. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water, ground cumin and salt. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat, until all the water is absorbed. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.