From Vegetarian: The Best Ever Recipe Collection, by Linda Fraser
- 1 bunch young carrots
- 2 TB butter
- 1 TB brown sugar
- ½ c. cider
- 4 TB vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- finely chopped greens from the carrots, or 1 TB chopped parsley
- Wash the carrots well and chop them into thin strips.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the carrots and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the carrots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cider and stock or water, bring to a boil and stir in the mustard. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the carrots are just tender. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the chopped tops or parsley and then spoon into a warmed serving dish.
Serves 4 as an appetizer