From CSA member Julie Ahern
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant or several small (about a pound), sliced about 1/3″ thick
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Chop or food process parsley, capers, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes and olive oil. Season with pepper (and salt if necessary, but capers can be salty).
- Preheat an outdoor charcoal or gas grill or a grill pan until smoking hot.
- Put enough eggplant slices on the grill to cover it without crowding. Cook the eggplant until well marked, 3 to 6 minutes, then turn the slices over. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes more. Remove the eggplant from the grill.
- Pour the vinegar into a shallow bowl. While still hot, dip each eggplant slice into the vinegar and set it aside on a plate.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the parsley mixture onto a platter and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon. Arrange half of the grilled eggplant on the parsley in a single layer.
- Smear each slice of eggplant with more parsley. Place a second layer of eggplant on top and spread the remaining parsley on it. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and set aside to marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours (or refrigerate for longer). Serve at room temperature
- I like to arrange the eggplant in a sort of fan design for pretty presentation. Can garnish with toasted pine nuts.
Serves 4 as a side dish