from Easy Vegetarian
- 1 1/2 lb. small, unpeeled beets, trimmed
- 12 slices white sliced bread
- 1 lb. mixed greens
- 8 oz. crumbly goat cheese
- 4 oz. pine nuts, 1 cup, toasted in a dry skillet
- small bunch basil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- freshly squeezed juice of 2 lemons
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the beets in a roasting pan and roast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven, let cool, then peel and quarter them.
- Meanwhile, to make the Melba toast, toast the slices of bread, then remove the crusts. Using a large, sharp knife, split each piece of toast through the middle, to give 2 whole slices of toast with 1 soft bread side each. Cut in half diagonally, then cook under a preheated broiler, soft side up, until golden and curled. Watch the toasts carefully, as they can burn quickly.
- Put the mixed greens on a big serving dish, add the beets, crumble the goat cheese on top, the sprinkle with pine nuts and torn basil leaves.
- Put the garlic, oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl or jar. Add salt and pepper, mix well, then pour over the salad. Serve with the Melba toast.