from Simply in Season, by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 8 c. water
- 2 c. potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 c. beets with greens, chopped
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 1/2 c. pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped (or 2 TB dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Brown onion in oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, 10 minutes
- Add all other ingredients except for parsley, dill, and beet greens. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add parsley, dill, and beet greens. Simmer until barley is cooked, another 10 minutes.
One thought on “Winter Borscht”
Might have to make this soon! As soon as the weather remembers it’s October. Borscht is especially good with sour cream!