from Simply in Season, by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 8 c. water
- 2 c. potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 c. beets with greens, chopped
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 1/2 c. pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped (or 2 TB dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Brown onion in oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, 10 minutes
- Add all other ingredients except for parsley, dill, and beet greens. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add parsley, dill, and beet greens. Simmer until barley is cooked, another 10 minutes.