From New Vegetarian Cooking, by Rose Elliot
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 TB canola oil
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- ½ cinnamon stick, broken
- 12 curry leaves or ½ tsp. Curry powder
- 1 c. shredded cabbage
- 3 TB unsweetened shredded coconut
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onion in the oil in a covered pan for about 7 minutes, until it is almost tender.
- Add the mustard seeds, turmeric, cinnamon stick, and curry leaves or powder. Stir for a few seconds, until they smell fragrant, then add the cabbage and coconut.
- Stir well, then cover, and leae to cook gently for about 10 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve.