- 4 large or 8 small beets
- 2 Anjou pears
- 3 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups baby washed arugula (or lettuce or wilted beet greens)
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the beets on a sheet tray and roast until fork tender, about an hour for full-sized beets or 20-30 minutes for baby-sized. Remove and let cool.
3. Using a paring knife, peel the beets if using large ones. Grate the beets and the pears on the largest holes of a box grater. Toss them with the balsamic, olive oil and salt.
4. Divide the arugula or other greens between 6 salad plates, spoon some of the beet-pear mixture onto the arugula and top with the chopped almonds and chives. Serve immediately.
Serves 6 as a side