- 4 small-medium beets peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium kohlrabi peeled cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 0.5 inch fresh ginger root peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- salt to taste
- Dash of lime juice to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Put beets, kohlrabi, ginger, and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until beets are fork tender.
Transfer soup to a blender. Add spices and lime juice. Purée on high until creamy and smooth. Return soup back to the pot. Add more water if soup is too thick.
Add olive oil and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste.
Serve hot or cold topped with some chia seeds, and chopped toasted peanuts.