from The Angel Valley Organic Farm website
- 1 bunch chard or beet greens
- 1 bunch scallions or one or two of the sweet onions (use the “greens” and all!)
- garlic (however much suits your fancy)
- 1-1/2 cups milk or half & half
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 9-inch pie crust
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Chop the chard and sauté in olive oil along with the chopped onions and garlic until the stems begin to soften. Add the roughly torn chard leaves to the pan, a handful at a time, and wilt them down. Splash on a little lemon juice, if you want, at this point (a dash of citrus helps make the calcium in the chard more “available” to your body!).
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, add the parmesan cheese and salt & pepper. Stir in the chard mixture, and pour into an unbaked 9-inch pie crust
4. Bake for a half-hour or so — the quiche is done when it’s nicely browned on top. Take the quiche out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing into serving pieces.