- 1 pound green beans or sugar snap peas
- 1 cucumber, peeled if thick-skinned, halved lengthwise, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
1. If using peas, remove the strings from both edges of the pea pods.
2. Place the beans/peas in a steamer basket set over 1 1/2 inches boiling water, cover, and steam until they are just crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Drain the beans/peas in the sink and immediately run cold water over them. Transfer the peas to a clean, dry dish towel and pat them dry. Place them in a large bowl and add the cucumber.
4. Put the oil, walnuts, lemon juice, water, dill, and cayenne pepper into a blender. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour the walnut dressing over the cucumbers and peas. Toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.